Formed on August 1, 2011, the Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce (the Chamber) is the voice of business and tourism in the Camden/Rockland region, encompassing more than 20 communities within and surrounding Knox County, Maine. The Chamber represents the coming together of businesses, nonprofits, governments, and citizens in support of a vibrant and growing region with unparalleled quality of life and place. The organization is incorporated in the State of Maine and is recognized by the IRS as a nonprofit organization under section 501(c)6 of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Chamber is the fourth largest Chamber organization in the state of Maine, with over 700 business, nonprofit, and individual members. Our recent accomplishments include helping our members navigate the business challenges associated with the pandemic and advocating on behalf of businesses on the Midcoast seeking to expand.
The continuing goal of the Chamber of Commerce is to become, and remain, an influential leader for the benefit of our communities and membership. To accomplish this, we will seek to:
• Promote and serve the interests of local businesses, non-profits, and community groups by providing the support, services, and information that enable them to prosper.
• Make ourselves a financially stable business with a professional staff devoted to developing appropriate new programs and services and to providing them in a cheerful, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
• Remain at all times a vital part of the community, maintaining a positive, prominent public profile and speaking for our members and representing their interests locally, regionally, and statewide.
• Stay mindful in all our endeavors of balancing the area’s business growth and development with its natural attributes, heritage, and exceptional quality of life.
Our Board of Directors approved a strategic plan in February 2022 that is focused on three objectives:
• To advocate and work for policies and conditions that will make the Camden/Rockland region a great place to start and sustain a business.
• To encourage partnerships by virtue of our position as a trusted resource on business affairs.
• To ensure that we have ample resources so that our operations are effective, efficient, and worthy of the investment our members make in our organization.
For more about the Chamber, please visit www.camdenrockland.com and www.penbaychamber.com.
The Chamber’s President & CEO is a visionary self-starter who leads the organization’s programs and strategies to drive economic growth in the Penobscot Bay region. The successful candidate will be a spokesperson, advocate for tourism and other economic drivers of growth in the region, significant driver of revenue, and a high-profile leader in the community. S/he will possess significant business acumen, interpersonal savvy, superior written and oral communications skills, and be able to motivate others to action. His/Her skills and experiences are supported by a commitment to honesty, integrity, and the highest standards of business ethics. S/he will also have experience in working with a Board of Directors to expand an organization’s sphere of influence.
The reputation of the Chamber is the President & CEO’s responsibility – the successful candidate will serve as the “face” of the Chamber. Maintaining positive growth in membership, executing successful fundraising programs, and operating within the organization’s budget is of paramount importance. The President & CEO must be both a visionary and a pragmatist who thrives in a dynamic business climate. S/he provides leadership to position and maintain the Chamber at the forefront of industry. Working with the Board of Directors, the President & CEO develops and continuously updates a strategic plan to advance the Chamber’s mission as a member-driven organization. S/he also oversees day-to-day management of Chamber operations to ensure production efficiency, quality, service, and cost-effective management of resources.
• Provides visionary and thoughtful leadership that is inclusive and transparent in a manner that manifests the Chamber’s mission.
• Contributes to the strategic plan and manages its implementation.
• Recruits new board members and coordinates training and strategic planning annually.
• Develops agendas and provides supporting materials for Board consideration at its monthly meeting. Keeps the Board informed of communications from the membership or public.
• Oversees day-to-day operations of the Chamber and ensures its long-term operational success.
• Plans, develops, and implements strategies for generating revenue for the Chamber. Oversees fundraising events such as golf tournaments and silent auctions, but also develops a fundraising
strategy that is not reliant exclusively on special events.
• Develops, supports, and manages the annual budget.
• Prudently directs resources and manages all financials within budget guidelines and according to current laws and regulations. Assumes responsibility for the fiscal integrity of the Chamber. Evaluates the performance of Chamber staff for compliance with established Chamber policies and measures his/her contributions to attaining the Chamber’s objectives.
• Promotes the Chamber through written articles and personal appearances at conferences and media opportunities.
• Represents the Chamber at national, state, and local legislative sessions, committee meetings, and at formal public functions.
• Oversees the development and execution of the Annual Visitor Guide and Map through ad sales and production. Orchestrates the sales of advertising in all Chamber-related publications.
• Supervises staff, manages processes such as onboarding, offboarding, staff development, performance management, compensation, and benefits.
• Ensures that all applicable local, state and federal legal requirements and standards are applied consistently and adhered to by all staff.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• At least ten years of experience of working in a business, nonprofit, or organizational setting with relevance to the skills the Chamber seeks in its President & CEO.
• College degree in business or related field or comparative experience.
• 5+ years of community or public service experience.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and committees.
• Knowledge of digital office applications, e-mail, social media, and internet.
• Ability to network locally, regionally & statewide with other organizations, community leaders, and political candidates; and represent the needs of the Chamber through these contacts.
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Ability to communicate and interact with a wide range of constituencies.
• Excellent supervisory skills, including knowledge of HR practices.
This is a full-time position that requires a willingness to work a flexible schedule and to travel as needed. Duties may require frequent weekend and evening work.
• Experience in strategic planning and execution. Familiarity with best practices in business, consensual negotiating, and change management. Skill in examining and re-engineering
operations and procedures. Experience in formulating organizational policies and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
TOTAL COMPENSATION RANGE (INCLUDING SALARY, BENEFITS, AND INCENTIVES)
$90,000 – $100,000
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and any supporting materials to email@example.com by July 29, 2022. The cover letter should succinctly state why the
candidate is interested in leading the Chamber during this dynamic time. Candidates failing to provide this requested information will not be considered.
Candidates invited to the first round of interviews will be provided a copy of the Chamber’s budget, strategic plan, and other relevant background materials. Finalist candidates will be asked to provide an articulation of their vision for the Chamber, strategies for retaining/growing membership and revenues, and contact information for three references. Further, the Chamber will request permission to run background checks on the finalist(s).
The Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other classification protected under applicable law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Pingback: Pen Bay Chamber announces CEO search – Knox County VillageSoup
Comments are closed.